The United Workers Union is seeking a highly motivated Industrial Officer based in Perth.
ABOUT UNITED WORKERS’ UNION
United Workers’ Union is a powerful member-led union whose sole purpose is to serve the collective interests of members in workplaces and communities by winning significant and long-lasting gains.
The Union is driving change by growing union membership, developing leadership amongst our members, encouraging active member participation in the union, building and enforcing standards in our sectors, and campaigning both politically and in the community.
As a union with a proudly diverse membership, we are committed to equity and inclusion; and continuing to build a union that is truly representative of the workers we cover. We strive to ensure that every member’s voice can be heard and create opportunities for participation from members with diverse backgrounds in all activities/functions of the Union. We encourage applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds and people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
The United Workers Union is proudly affiliated with the Australian Labor Party.
• Manage a caseload which includes resolving workplace issues by providing industrial advice to members and advocacy with employers and before industrial tribunals to ensure that members’ entitlements are being enforced.
• Participate in enterprise bargaining negotiations and ensure compliance with the legislative regime in all aspects of the bargaining process.
• Representing members and the Union in collective and individual meetings with employers and peak bodies.
• Ensure the work contributes to achieving the Objects of the Union and assists with retaining union members, membership growth, member leadership and action and winning industry power.
• Maintain and develop industrial knowledge across UWU industries.
• Other duties associated with ensuring a high standard is maintained to provide assistance to Union members.
• Ensure that the Union’s values of equity, diversity and inclusion are upheld and promoted.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
An Industrial Officer demonstrates:
• A passion and drive to improve workers’ lives and achieving the goals of the Union
• Ability in managing expectations around dispute resolution
• Ability in using legislation, awards and agreements to enforce member’s rights and entitlements
• A solid knowledge and understanding of the Australian industrial relations environment
• Experience in advocacy through the Fair Work Commission or relevant Courts
• Experience in representing members and/or clients in employment related matters
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to participate in the unions political and social justice agenda
Whilst experience in industrial/employment law is desirable, entry level candidates with legal training are encouraged to apply.
To perform this job you will also be required to have or obtain and maintain:
• Right of Entry Permits;
• Immunisation against COVID-19 or have a medical exemption
DESIRABLE SELECTION CRITERIA
• Eligibility to hold/have a practicing certificate.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful applicant, which will include:
• Salary commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience
• 16% superannuation
• 6 weeks annual leave plus 25% leave loading;
• Payment of practicing certificates; and
• Generous other leave and conditions.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume, together with a cover letter addressing the selection criteria to Julie Korlevska, Deputy Director (People, Culture and Change) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed applications must be received by 4pm (AEST) Wednesday 5 October 2023.
For further information about the role, please email email@example.com